Sunday, July 4, 2010

I don't mean to offend you but...

Have you ever noticed that right before someone is about to offend you they say something a little like the following:
a) Don't take this the wrong way but...
b) I don't mean to offend you but...
c) No offense but...
d) It's just my opinion but...
e) I don't mean to tell you how to do your job but...
f) This isn't a criticism but...

It is my observation that these phrases are the social equivalent to a get out of jail free card in a Monopoly game. It's like saying: "I'm about to say something now that is utterly rude and offensive but if you act like I have offended you, you will look ridiculous and seem to be totally over-reacting. So toughen up because it's about to hit you and you don't want to look like a complete knob."

Am I too guilty of this guilt-freeing offense evasion? Of course, I've been known to pull out an entire string of these phrases in the attempt to steer a friend away from what I believe to be a bad move or decision.

Example monologue:

I'm no expert on it but it seems like things aren't working too well the way they are. I don't want to tell you what to do but maybe you should think about it really carefully. I mean, and this isn't a criticism, but you're not the best judge of character, are you?

Monologue minus the "no offense" approach:

I'm no expert on it but I think I am in this situation and you're having a complete shocker. Someone needs to tell you what to do because clearly you have lost your mind. I should probably also point out that you are significantly flawed in your judgement of character and you should totally defer to me and other learned friends for all of your decision making.

Yes, and as a post-script, I am truly successful in every one of life's endeavours and so am highly equipped to make this call.

1 comment:

  1. "Don't take it personally" is another one I hear often. And most of the time it *is* personal.

    ReplyDelete